Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"Once Upon A Time" I Didn't Get Anything At Cleve's Auctions

Nothing doing for me this week at Cleve's auctions.  It's not the first time I've been shut out, but I'm a little more surprised this time simply because I put in a lot of write in bids.  Like 10 or so.  Usually that nets me at least one or two wins.

But the week wasn't a total loss from a baseball purchase standpoint.  The Lovely Wife recently discovered a used bookstore nearby that is really impressive.  It's called "Once Upon a Time Books," and now you understand the witty play on words in the title of this post.

We went in Saturday and I found some great baseball books that I thought were worth showing:

This is one of the huge price guides that lists every card.  True it only goes up to 2006 but most of the sets I'm interested in researching are pre-2006 anyway.  Plus it was only $5.  I never see these cheaper than that, even used.  And no, I don't care about the prices listed.  I'm just interested in having the comprehensive checklists.  Plus it was edited by Bob Lemke, who writes one of my favorite blogs.


Another reference tool I was thrilled to get was this MLB official rule book.  For 50 cents, I couldn't pass it up.

This hardcover book of baseball quotes was only a buck, and may wind up being my favorite purchase when all is said and done.  I've already spent a lot of time flipping through it.  Maybe I should use it to make a "Quote of the Day" gadget on the side of my blog.  Here, I'll give you one for today:

"If I tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."- George Brett


And last but certainly not least is this incredible hardcover coffee table book with all sorts of goodies in it.  It's sort of like a pop up book, but instead of pop up pages, the book includes reproductions of miscellaneous documents, tickets, famous letters and even some baseball cards.  I'll have to give this book it's own post at some point because it's got a ton of cool things in it.  I've seen it before at Barnes and Noble and always wanted it.  I was able to get it at Once Upon a Time for $5, and everything looks to be intact inside.

I'd encourage everyone to take a look at Once Upon a Time's website.  They ship everywhere, and in fact are more of an online business than an actual bookstore.  I know I'll be back!







3 comments:

The Lost Collector said...

Sweet deals. Every time I go to old book stores, I find sports books tend to be overprices.

Hackenbush said...

I have the 2006 SCD Standard Catalog on my bookshelf. It really comes in handy, particularly for oddball sets.

Coffee Recipes said...

Very thoughhtful blog