Friday, December 28, 2012

The Elation of a Filled Up Sampler Album Sheet: 1965 Topps

I've mentioned my Sampler Album project before in several posts, so I've decided to start tracking the progress here on the blog.  As I complete pages for each year in the album, I'll write about it, and leave a link to the post in the "Sampler Album Project" page at the top of the blog.

Quickly, the Sampler Album project is simply an album that has a page dedicated to each Topps flagship set from 1951 to today.  I can't (and don't want) to try to try to build every set, and I thought this would be a nice efficient way to look over the history of Topps cards over the years.

The fun part of this project is that each page is never really "finished" until I have 9 cards for that page that I'm totally ecstatic about.  I'm sure there will always be a card out there for each year that could warrant a spot in the page over another. 

However, I have to say I'm pretty darn satisfied as it is with my 1965 page:

That card 3-6 run of Robinson, Mays, Koufax and Aaron is very strong and the other cards certainly aren't junk either.  Eventually I'd love to upgrade the Koufax since there is a pin hole in his hat and the corners are pretty worn.  The Aaron is in incredible condition, and has sentimental value as well since it was a gift from a family friend years ago when I first got in the hobby. 

Maybe I'll trade out the Piersall and Fox if I find a couple of other 1965s I like better, but for now, this page is set, and by far the best page in my sampler album.


carlsonjok said...

That is awesome beyond words.

Nick said...

'65 is my all-time favorite Topps set. That's quite a nice array of stars for your "sampler" page.

I also have a copy of that Koufax, but yours is in way better shape than mine.


Jeff said...

There's always been something rather iconic to me about that particular Aaron.