Friday, December 28, 2012

The Elation of a Filled Up Sampler Album Sheet: 1965 Topps

I've mentioned my Sampler Album project before in several posts, so I've decided to start tracking the progress here on the blog.  As I complete pages for each year in the album, I'll write about it, and leave a link to the post in the "Sampler Album Project" page at the top of the blog.

Quickly, the Sampler Album project is simply an album that has a page dedicated to each Topps flagship set from 1951 to today.  I can't (and don't want) to try to try to build every set, and I thought this would be a nice efficient way to look over the history of Topps cards over the years.

The fun part of this project is that each page is never really "finished" until I have 9 cards for that page that I'm totally ecstatic about.  I'm sure there will always be a card out there for each year that could warrant a spot in the page over another. 

However, I have to say I'm pretty darn satisfied as it is with my 1965 page:

That card 3-6 run of Robinson, Mays, Koufax and Aaron is very strong and the other cards certainly aren't junk either.  Eventually I'd love to upgrade the Koufax since there is a pin hole in his hat and the corners are pretty worn.  The Aaron is in incredible condition, and has sentimental value as well since it was a gift from a family friend years ago when I first got in the hobby. 

Maybe I'll trade out the Piersall and Fox if I find a couple of other 1965s I like better, but for now, this page is set, and by far the best page in my sampler album.

3 comments:

carlsonjok said...

That is awesome beyond words.

Nick said...

'65 is my all-time favorite Topps set. That's quite a nice array of stars for your "sampler" page.

I also have a copy of that Koufax, but yours is in way better shape than mine.

Congrats!

Jeff said...

There's always been something rather iconic to me about that particular Aaron.