Thursday, August 23, 2012

Potential Greatness Up Close

I suppose at some point I will realize how fortunate I have been to see so many big time MLB prospects play in person over the past couple of years that have gone on to success in the bigs:  Mike Trout, Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas etc.  I’ve also seen a few who by all indications have a chance at stardom : Jonathan Singleton, Nolan Arenando, Wil Myers to name a few.  I realize the talent pool that plays through the AA venue around here will not always be so deep.

I recently was able to add one more player to add to the list this: Jurickson Profar.   And I can tell you that even if I didn’t know he was a big time prospect, I would have sensed something special about him after watching him play in person.


Actually, this is not the first time I've seen him play in person.  He was in the Futures Game in KC last month and hit a home run in the first inning.

From what I hear, he is a good bet to get called up this September, so this past weekend’s series against the Naturals was my last chance to see him play in person unless I goto an MLB game.  Or more precisely, the last chance I have to see him play without driving 4 hours and spending a lot of money.

I mentioned that my intention was to use my son to go get his autograph.  Truth be told, I would only want to get his autograph if my boy was interested in getting it.  He wasn’t, so we just watched from our seats and ate peanuts.
In summary, I have no autograph successes or good photos to share.  But Jurickson Profar is awesome.

No comments: