Friday, March 22, 2013

Cleve's Auction Night: Wrapping Up My Gift Certificate With a Bang

It occurs to me that I may have not mentioned that my main Christmas present from the lovely wife was a huge gift certificate to Cleve's.  I have utilized it almost weekly from January until this week, and am claiming the gift as the best present ever from the lovely wife.  Well, of course my two kids are the best gifts she ever gave me.  Of course.  Of course.  And her hand in marriage was right up there in the rankings.  And her friendship, love and companionship lo these many years, sure, it goes without saying those are great too. 

Still, this Cleve's gift certificate was tha shiz-nit, and as all good things must end, I finally reached that end today.   But I'm happy to report I made the most out of the final 8 bucks and change. 

Let's start with this:

A wax box of 1990 Topps.  I'll have more on this box later, but I basically got this for 90% off sticker price.  I know 1990 Topps is nothing special, but it will serve two purposes for me:
  1. My kids have taken to opening packs lately, and this is a cheap wait to satisfy them and not worry about what they do with the contents.
  2. As some of you who have recently traded with me know, I've taken to adding packs to trade packets.  Seems like a fun bonus to send out.

I was pleasantly surprised to see I had also won a miscellaneous lot of cards for $5.  It had some great stuff:
I've wanted a Clemens Topps rookie for my sampler album, and can now check that off.
Not one, but two Fernando Valenzuela/ Mike Scioscia rookies.  One's going in my sampler album, the other is on it's way to my man Spiegel (good thing I procrastinated on getting your trade package out, huh Mike?).
I don't know what this is about, but these Bump Wills were in the lot. 
Three more solid sampler album additions. 
Two 1981 Fleer Rickey Hendersons. 
Finally, a trio of Kellogg's 3-D cards.  I have a soft spot for this kind of stuff, although the Garvey is also on it's way to Spiegel-land.

Grades:

1990 Topps Wax Box $2  A  : The box is a bit nasty (more on that later), but we're still talking $.06 a pack here.

Misc Card Lot $5 :  A+   The Clemens rookie is almost worth it alone, but add in all the others- all strong cards- and this is one of my best gets yet!







3 comments:

The Lost Collector said...

Funny. I just picked up a Clemens RC too.

6,000,000 Cards and Counting... said...

I just picked up a Clemens rookie the other day as well! Not to mention sold a few.

Spiegel83 said...

Spiegel-land will love those cards. That Garvey is sweet!