Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sort of a Checklist Chipaway: 2003 Diamond Kings

When I build sets, I often am content to just stick with the base cards.  When the mood strikes me, I’ll add the insert sets and build a master set.   I guess I usually have a pretty loose definition of what makes a “master” set however.  For example, I am building a “master set” of 2012 Gypsy Queen, but am leaving off the relics and autos and minis.  So, some of you might say I’m not really building a master set.  To you I say: mind your own business

The 2003 Diamond King set is one I’ve been working on since, well, 2003, and pretty much intended to take on the whole set and not skip over anything.  However, it was only about a year ago I discovered there were relic versions of the “Team Timeline” insert set that were produced.   I was unaware of it.

 It was unbeknownst to me.

I was ignorant of it’s existence.

These cards are numbered to 100 each and feature relics from a past and current (in 2003 at least) star from a particular team.  After learning about it, I decided to skip this pricey parallel and stick to the standard Team Timeline cards.

But about 2 weeks ago, the Chicago White Sox relic card from this set popped up on eBay and had a very low price.   I put in a low bid and lucked out and won it:


Now what do I do?  Do I have to work finish this now too?    I got this one cheap, but man the other ones have been expensive that I’ve seen.   Wouldn’t it look weird in the album to just have this one straggler hanging out with the other cards?  


These are the kinds of burning questions that torment me all day.  Sure, I could be working or doing something productive, but I worry about this kind of stuff, and now I’ve written a post about it and the whole world can fret over it with me.

2 comments:

The Diamond King said...

Tough problem to have!!

JediJeff said...

What you do is send me that WS card and then forget you even considered the set.

Nice card - enjoy that baby.