Tuesday, September 27, 2011

30/29? Good enough for me..

Why are no Rangers being mentioned as AL MVP candidates?  I take that back.  Michael Young has sort of been mentioned, here and there and deservedly so.  But the guy who I think has been the most valuable to the team this year is Ian Kinsler.  Part of that is my own anecdotal evidence from the many times I've watched  the Rangers play on TV.  It seems like every time I happened to be watching and something positive happened for the Rangers, Kinsler was in the middle of it.  Twice I saw him end a close game with a spectacular defensive play.    Seemingly every time I watched him hit, something good happened as well, whether it was a leadoff homerun, an extra base hit, or a stolen base to turn a single into an extra base hit.  

Kinsler just needs one more stolen base tonight to put him in the 30/30 club (30 HRs and 30 steals) for the second time in his young career.  With only two games to go, he might not get it.  But 29 steals is close enough for me.  I’m not suggesting that he should win the MVP, but from my eyeball test, he’s one of the best players in baseball.  

And my Kinsler collection is building up pretty nicely I must say.   This little beauty came in the mail this week:

 

3 comments:

Napkin Doon said...

As usual, I have guessed incorrectly. Kinsler just picked up steal #30!

Play at the Plate said...

Nice silk! I just watched the last pitch. One more for homefield advantage in the ALDS.

The Lost Collector said...

Michael Young should certainly be in the discussion.