Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mail Arrivals- "I Should Not Have Done This" Edition

If you have nothing better to do and have been following my blog for a while, you might have surmised that two of my collecting... "motifs" for want of a better word are: 1) I like to build sets and some master sets with the inserts sets included and 2) I don't typically spend a lot of money on one card.

There are times when these two themes conflict.  Case in point: Donruss Diamond Kings 2003.  I have managed to sneak in several of the Hi Book inserts to my master set and have pretty much accumulated all of the affordable pieces to this puzzle.  There are a few jersey, bat and autos that I am lacking (please see "Current Checklist Progress" Tab for overall quantities missing per set).  They typically have a high BIN price on eBay, but the other day, this was up for bid with a low starting price:


Clearly I bought it, or what a worthless post this would be.  I put in a bid I didn't think had a chance, but was still higher than I typically go.  I've mentioned the feeling before of watching an auction I'm winning come to a close and teetering between hoping I win and hoping I get outbid and am off the hook.  Would that be called "bidder's remorse?"  So I wound up winning.  Man was it worth it!  The gray flannel swatch on this card just looks and feels like a piece of history.  Plus the card is numbered to 50.    If I can do the same with the Ruth and Gehrig I am still needing, I will poop myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a great Stan the Man card.