Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Denny’s 1996

I am total sucker for gimmick cards.  I love motion and hologram cards, and anything that looks like some effort went into it.   That’s why I’m a fan of the Denny’s card sets from the 90’s.  I just bought the 1996 set on eBay, and I think it’s a nice little set.  You have to angle the cards just right to get the full effect though, and I’m sure my lovely wife thought there was something wrong with me as I contorted my arms and head trying to watch the action unfold on the cards. 



The scan won’t show it obviously, but every hologram is actually a little “video” of a significant play or moment for each of the 28 players.  There is a write up on the back notating the event.  I especially like the Ozzie Smith opening day back flip, and the home run from Cal Ripken’s 2,131st consecutive game.  By my count, there are a dozen current or future Hall of Famers in this set.
From a Historical/Americana standpoint, I even like the Denny’s logo being on the cards.  The 1997 set is even nicer, as Baseball Cards Come To Life points out in this post.    Denny’s put out sets almost every year in the 90s.  A collector could put together a pretty interesting master set of Denny’s cards without spending too much money. 

No comments: