Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Opening Day...

For my redesigned blog.  Not that my changes are any big deal.  My wife is actually the expert at this stuff so hopefully she will help me put something decent looking together.  There are several opening days I am looking forward to over the next few weeks:

- MLB Opening Day Thursday
- Rangers Opening Day Friday
- NW Arkansas Naturals Home Opener April 7th

I am also stunned to say that this will be my first year in 15 years that I have not played fantasy baseball.  Yes, I actually played in the late 80s before the Internet.  We drafted, made trades and were updated on standings all by mail.  At the time I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Once fantasy leagues started showing up on the Internet, I didn't know whether to crap or go blind.  But last year, with the Rangers, Razorbacks and Naturals all doing so well and taking my attention, I let my fantasy team slip out of my consciousness.  I think I wound up making the playoffs anyway.  Not sure what that says about my managing skills.  So I am going to forgo a team this year and see if I miss it.

I guess I'll go on record with my homer predictions for the season, and see how I do:

AL West -  I refuse to pick this division as I do not want to jinx the Rangers. 
AL Central- The Royals, with the help of some young ultra talented Naturals are 2 years away I think.  And I can't get a feel for this division at all, so I'll pick the Twins.
AL East-  I'll take the chalk and pick the Red Sox.  Although, I think the Orioles will make some noise this year. 

NL East-  Even with the injuries, I'll go with the Phillies.
NL Central-  The Brewers look good to me on paper, but I've said that before about them.
NL West-  Giants again, but the Rockies will be tough I think.

World Series-
What the heck:  Brewers vs. a team whose name I will not mention so that I do not jinx them.

AL MVP:  Someone who plays in the outfield with last year's MVP whose name rhymes with Pelson Pooze.
NL MVP: Ryan Braun

AL CY Young:  Felix Hernandez
NL CY Young:  Roy Halladay

No comments: