Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cleve’s Christmas Auction Preview Part 2: The Mick



My mother was a huge Brooklyn Dodger fan when she was a kid.  She collected baseball cards when she was a kid.  She kept Brooklyn Dodger cards.  She defaced and destroyed Yankee cards.   When was she a kid?  The late 40’s and 50’s.  Which players did she like to collect the most?  Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, and Duke Snider.  Whose cards did she love to destroy?  Mickey Mantle.   

(Before I give the impression that I inherited her Dodger cards, let me pop that balloon quickly- her mother threw all her Dodger cards away and she has almost nothing to show from her Dodger fandom days other than an incredible felt pennant that I’ll show you someday.)

But still, the thought of her destroying Mickey Mantle cards makes me want to cry.  If only time travel existed and I could go back and stop her…. Of course if I had a time machine I would go back and round up a bunch of T206 Honus Wagner’s off the press and put them in a safety deposit box, or have them sent to me via Western Union in the future ala Doc’s letter to Marty in Back To The Future Part 2.  But I digress…

Here are some of the Mickey Mantle cards up for auction this week at Cleve’s Christmas auction:







Maybe I’ll get one.  I’m certainly not showing it to Mom if I do.

For those interested in these, or any of the other cards from the Christmas auction (or any auction for that matter), Cleve does take write in bids.  You can reach him at:   479-927-0067 


1 comment:

Spiegel83 said...

Your mother sounds like a nice lady. She did the right thing back then.