Thursday, July 12, 2012

FanFest Part Two: The Topps Booth


The Topps Booth was relatively small, and was manned on two sides:  one side was selling special All Star Game editions of the 2012 Factory Set (only 600 made is what I’ve heard), and the other side was where you could redeem wrappers for special All Star Game cards.  Forgive me for the lack of and poor quality of pictures of the booth:

 2012 Products
Man, those are terrible pictures.  I don't know what happened here.

The Factory sets were only $50, which is what you'd pay at retail anyway, so I went ahead and got one.  They come with a special pack of cards in each box, and I'm tempted to break the seal and see what is in the pack.  I haven't broken the seal yet, but I probably will soon.

Each set also came with a special All Star Patch card, numbered to 150.  Bryce Harper patch cards were already gone, but I gladly settled for a Yu Darvish:
Not that I would sell this, but I have seen that these Darvish cards are going for around $40-50 on eBay. 
After this, I caught a mild case of card fever and decided to get a redemption card too (different than the packs in the sets and the patch cards).  Redemption cards were available for 3 wrappers per card.  I bought 3 packs of 2012 Pro Debut at a nearby dealer and redeemed those wrappers for a Bryce Harper that was still available:

The Pro Debut packs were only 3 for $10, which I didn’t think was too bad.  I got the cool Harper card, plus a few good minor league prospects in my Pro Debut packs:
 Happy to get a card of personal favorite, John Lamb...


I wish I would have had the presence of mind to see if these Harpers were already selling on eBay and for how much.  Had I taken 30 seconds to look this up on my phone, I would have seen that they were going for $30-40 a pop.  I would have gladly bought a lot more packs to get a lot more Harpers.  Oh well, I’m happy with the one I got.
Topps was also handing out little 4 packs of 2012 cards and a free kids book:

I’m anxious to read this to my boy, and I’ll give a full review later.  Just kidding.  I won’t unless it is just super awesome.

Although we didn’t get anything to speak of in our packs of cards, it was a nice gesture from Topps, and my kids enjoyed opening them. 
Other than kicking myself for not getting more redemption cards, the Topps booth provided some nice adds to my collection.

3 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Nice Darvish. Sounds like you had a good time.

The Lost Collector said...

That's a cool Darvish. Glad you were able to pick up some cards there.

unclemoe said...

That patch card is great!

moe.