Saturday, April 14, 2012

Writing It In At Cleve's

My little boy's second season of baseball has gotten underway lately, and practices and games are Tuesday's and Thursdays.  Which mean, unless there is a rain out on a Tuesday, personal appearances at Cleve's auctions will be delayed a few months.  That's no big deal, as I get infinitely more enjoyment out of watching a bunch of 6 year old kids having fun playing baseball.  Besides, I can always write in my bids.  That certainly is not ideal, since you are basically starting the bidding at the highest price you are willing to pay.  When you are there in person, you might be able to get it for less than you set out as a maximum. 

This week I had several write in bids, and came away with 4 wins.  No vintage this week.  In fact, everything I won was 2011/2012 gimmick cards.  But they are very cool gimmick cards:

I'm not sure what the general opinion is on these World Series Pins, but I think they are incredible.  I'm not a big Reggie Jackson fan, but I was very happy to get this card for $6.  Had I been at the auction, I might have got it for less, but oh well.

I'm also a big fan of these di-cut cards from the Topps Diamond Giveaway site.  I am a fan of Bob Gibson too, so I was thrilled to get this for $4.  I was a little surprised to get it at this price, since NW Arkansas is mostly Cardinals country.


I like these fake leather nameplate cards.  I don't think many agree with that sentiment though.  I got the Ozzie for $5 and the Sandberg for $4.    From a cost standpoint, probably not the best bargains around, but still pretty dang good.

Grades:

2012 Topps Reggie Jackson World Series Pin  $6:  A-   I could flip this and double my money now, but I really like this card, so I'll probably keep it.

2011 Di-Cut Bob Gibson $4:  A  These cards are some of my favorites from 2011, and Bob Gibson is the boss.

2011 Leather Nameplate Ozzie Smith #99 $5:  B+  

2011 Leather Nameplate Ryne Sandberg $4: B-  I didn't need this and am ambivalent about Sandberg.  But it's a cool card nonetheless. 

Not sure if any of this is for trade.  The Gibson is not, and the Jackson would take some persuasion, but the Smith and Sandberg probably are.

1 comment:

The Lost Collector said...

The Gibson DDC was a steal.