Friday, March 25, 2011

Napkin Doon Tip of the Hat: Society for American Baseball Research

My wife noses around my blog quite often and gives me her feedback whether I want it or not.  She is begging to post comments on this blog(undeniably to make fun of me) , but I won’t let her.  She has her own blog that covers our family, and I don’t want my baseball card life and regular life to mix.   I am trying to maintain a secret identity.  Like Batman.  But I digress…
So my wife reads my succinct, yet informative post about Etopps.  “Don’t you think these people know about Etopps already?  Do they need a lesson from you?” were her eyebrows-raised rhetorical questions to me. 
“Probably they are aware, but I never see posts about Etopps, and one can never assume,” was my patient response.   So using that logic, let me give a nod to one of my favorite websites:  www.SABR.org  I assume readers are familiar with this organization, but I wanted to give them a shout anyways.  Like the guys over at Baseball Time In Arlington, I concede that these folks are way out of my league in terms of intelligence and understanding of the game.   But I like to visit the site and see some of the innovative thinking going on over there.    They even have a yearly convention that I am much too intimidated to attend, but hope to one day. 
Is anyone reading this a member of SABR?  Have you been to a convention?  How was it?


2 comments:

carlsonjok said...

Actually, being new to collecting as an adult, I had no idea what eTopps was. So, in this particular instance, you were right.

Revel in the moment because they will be few and far between in your married life. Just don't tell my wife of 18 years I said that.

Napkin Doon said...

Truer words were never spoken...