Friday, August 19, 2011

Logic and the Lovely Wife

Besides being smoking hot, the lovely wife is super sharp and does not let anything get by her.  Case in point, the controversial Bob Feller card that I declined to go after at Cleve’s the other night  (BTW it went for over $30, so I’m not kicking myself for missing out on it.  Plus, now I’ve gotten my week hiatus out of the way, and this Tuesday I can go hog wild!!!).  After I won a magnificent Satchel Paige card the week before, I agreed with her that I should take a hiatus from Cleve’s auctions and get myself back under control.  But then I saw the 1953 Feller, and it was too much for me to bear.   I am a great admirer of Feller as a player, patriot and ambassador to baseball, and was genuinely sad when he passed away.  Yet, I do not have a single vintage card of him.  I explained to the lovely wife that this was a special circumstance, and I REALLY wanted this card, despite agreeing to take an auction break.  In fact, a helpful handful of you agreed I should go for this card now and take a break later.  The lovely wife thought about this and asked, “But don’t you think you will be able find a ‘special circumstance card’ at Cleve’s EVERY week?” 
Touché.  
So, to gain credibility when I advise her of cards I really want, I have come up with a “Special Exception” list.    I hear of couples making “exception” lists of famous celebrities they have permission from their spouse to “be” with should the opportunity present itself.  In that spirit, I am going to list the cards that I should be able to bid on at ANY time should they find their way to one of Cleve’s auctions and come at a reasonable cost.  This way I can simply point to this legally binding agreement and show the lovely wife that the player in question is on the list, and I have already made public my desire to purchase a card of said player.
I give you the Napkin Doon exception list: 
Hank Aaron
Grover Alexander
Roberto Alomar
Walt Alston
Sparky Anderson
Cap Anson
Luis Aparicio
Luke Appling
Richie Ashburn
Earl Averill
Frank Baker
Dave Bancroft
Ernie Banks
Al Barlick
Ed Barrow
Jake Beckley
Cool Papa Bell
Johnny Bench
Chief Bender
Yogi Berra
Bert Blyleven
Wade Boggs
Jim Bottomley
Lou Boudreau
Roger Bresnahan
George Brett
Lou Brock
Dan Brouthers
Mordecai Brown
Ray Brown
Williard Brown
Morgan Bulkeley
Jim Bunning
Jesse Burkett
Roy Campanella
Rod Carew
Max Carey
Steve Carlton
Gary Carter
Alexander Cartwright
Orlando Cepeda
Henry Chadwick
Frank Chance
Happy Chandler
Oscar Charleston
Jack Chesbro
Nestor Chylak
Fred Clarke
John Clarkson
Roberto Clemente
Ty Cobb
Mickey Cochrane
Eddie Collins
Jimmy Collins
Earle Combs
Charlie Comiskey
Jocko Conlan
Tom Connolly
Roger Connor
Andy Cooper
Stan Coveleski
Sam Crawford
Joe Cronin
Candy Cummings
Kiki Cuyler
Ray Dandridge
George Davis
Leon Day
Andre Dawson
Dizzy Dean
Ed Delahanty
Bill Dickey
Martin Dihigo
Joe DiMaggio
Larry Doby
Bobby Doerr
Barney Dreyfuss
Don Drysdale
Hugh Duffy
Leo Durocher
Dennis Eckersley
Billy Evans
Johnny Evers
Buck Ewing
Red Faber
Bob Feller
Rick Ferrell
Rollie Fingers
Carlton Fisk
Elmer Flick
Whitey Ford
Bill Foster
Rube Foster
Nellie Fox
Jimmie Foxx
Ford Frick
Frankie Frisch
Pud Galvin
Lou Gehrig
Charlie Gehringer
Bob Gibson
Josh Gibson
Warren Giles
Pat Gillick
Lefty Gomez
Joe Gordon
Goose Goslin
Goose Gossage
Frank Grant
Hank Greenberg
Clark Griffith
Burleigh Grimes
Lefty Grove
Tony Gwynn
Chick Hafey
Jesse Haines
Billy Hamilton
Ned Hanlon
Will Harridge
Bucky Harris
Gabby Hartnett
Doug Harvey
Harry Heilmann
Rickey Henderson
Billy Herman
Whitey Herzog
Pete Hill
Harry Hooper
Rogers Hornsby
Waite Hoyt
Cal Hubbard
Carl Hubbell
Miller Huggins
William Hulbert
Catfish Hunter
Monte Irvin
Reggie Jackson
Travis Jackson
Fergie Jenkins
Hughie Jennings
Ban Johnson
Judy Johnson
Walter Johnson
Addie Joss
Al Kaline
Tim Keefe
Willie Keeler
George Kell
Joe Kelley
George Kelly
King Kelly
Harmon Killebrew
Ralph Kiner
Chuck Klein
Bill Klem
Sandy Koufax
Bowie Kuhn
Nap Lajoie
Kenesaw Landis
Tommy Lasorda
Tony Lazzeri
Bob Lemon
Buck Leonard
Freddie Lindstrom
Pop Lloyd
Ernie Lombardi
Al Lopez
Ted Lyons
Connie Mack
Biz Mackey
Larry MacPhail
Lee MacPhail
Effa Manley
Mickey Mantle
Heinie Manush
Rabbit Maranville
Juan Marichal
Rube Marquard
Eddie Mathews
Christy Mathewson
Willie Mays
Bill Mazeroski
Joe McCarthy
Tommy McCarthy
Willie McCovey
Joe McGinnity
Bill McGowan
John McGraw
Bill McKechnie
Bid McPhee
Joe Medwick
Jose Mendez
Johnny Mize
Paul Molitor
Joe Morgan
Eddie Murray
Stan Musial
Hal Newhouser
Kid Nichols
Phil Niekro
Walter O'Malley
Jim O'Rourke
Mel Ott
Satchel Paige
Jim Palmer
Herb Pennock
Tony Perez
Gaylord Perry
Eddie Plank
Alex Pompez
Cum Posey
Kirby Puckett
Old Hoss Radbourn
Pee Wee Reese
Jim Rice
Sam Rice
Branch Rickey
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Eppa Rixey
Phil Rizzuto
Robin Roberts
Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson
Jackie Robinson
Wilbert Robinson
Bullet Rogan
Edd Roush
Red Ruffing
Amos Rusie
Babe Ruth
Nolan Ryan
Ryne Sandberg
Louis Santop
Ray Schalk
Mike Schmidt
Red Schoendienst
Tom Seaver
Frank Selee
Joe Sewell
Al Simmons
George Sisler
Enos Slaughter
Hilton Smith
Ozzie Smith
Duke Snider
Billy Southworth
Warren Spahn
Al Spalding
Tris Speaker
Willie Stargell
Turkey Stearnes
Casey Stengel
Bruce Sutter
Mule Suttles
Don Sutton
Ben Taylor
Bill Terry
Sam Thompson
Joe Tinker
Cristobal Torriente
Pie Traynor
Dazzy Vance
Arky Vaughan
Bill Veeck
Rube Waddell
Honus Wagner
Bobby Wallace
Ed Walsh
Lloyd Waner
Paul Waner
John Ward
Earl Weaver
George Weiss
Mickey Welch
Willie Wells
Zack Wheat
Sol White
Hoyt Wilhelm
J.L. Wilkinson
Billy Williams
Dick Williams
Joe Williams
Ted Williams
Vic Willis
Hack Wilson
Jud Wilson
Dave Winfield
George Wright
Harry Wright
Early Wynn
Carl Yastrzemski
Tom Yawkey
Cy Young
Ross Youngs
Robin Yount



Keep in mind, this list only applies to vintage players.  I have an obligation as a Blogger and American Consumer to continue to purchase modern cards at my discretion.  Now, let’s see her argue with that.

4 comments:

Eric L said...

If I had any left in my account, I would totally gift you 1-million internets. Brilliant.

carlsonjok said...

According to Baseball Reference, there have been 17,652 MLB players throughout history. I do believe that you have managed to list most of them.

The Lost Collector said...

That looks suspiciously like the list of HOFers. Hmmm.

Napkin Doon said...

Your suspicions are correct sir.